Updated: Apr 23, 2019
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, roughly chopped, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, halved
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 40g sachet French onion soup mix
- 4 small red onions, peeled, halved crossways
- 150g green beans, trimmed, halved diagonally
Preheat oven to 220/200 degrees.
Drizzle 1/2 the oil over the base of a large heavy-based roasting dish. Pat chicken dry with paper towel, including cavity. Place chicken in dish. Fill cavity with 1/2 the chopped lemon. Tie up legs with kitchen string. Tuck wings under chicken.
Place remaining lemon in dish around chicken. Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Sprinkle chicken with some soup mix. Sprinkle remaining soup mix around chicken. Add 2 cups water to dish. Drizzle chicken with remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 mins.
Reduce oven temperature to 160/140 degrees. Bake for 1 hour, spooning onion gravy over chicken halfway through. Add red onion to dish, cut side up.
Bake for a further 1 hour, spooning over gravy halfway through, or until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with a skewer.
Stand for 10 minutes. Serve chicken with some steamed green beans or any vegetables, some brown rice, a little gravy and lemon wedges, sprinkled with extra thyme.